Home > South-East Asia >> Indonesia

Research: 94 percent voters in West Java couldn't identify hoaxes

Tempo - December 7, 2018

Dewi Nurita, Jakarta A research by KedaiKOPI (Kajian Opini Publik Indonesia/Indonesian Public Opinion Study) shows that only 4 percent of voters in West Java can identify fake news or hoaxes. The remaining 96 percent couldn't.

West Java is recorded to have 32.63 million registered voters for the 2019 general elections. "Of the total voters, only four percent was able to tell which news stories were fake," KedaiKOPI executive director Kunto Adi Wibowo told Tempo on Friday, December 7.

Kunto said that the hoax identification test was done by asking respondents to look at four news stories, and decide whether they were fake or real, or if they simply didn't know. From the research, it was revealed that all demographic variables (age, sex, education) did not affect hoax identification skills.

The research also revealed that undecided voters have even less ability to identify hoaxes compared to those who know their choice. "The number of undecided voters in West Java is 13.2 percent," he said.

This research was conducted in West Java from October 3 to 10. There were 488 respondents surveyed using face-to-face interview method. The data is weighted so the last sample is 471 with a margin of error  4.51 percent out of a 95 percent confidence range.

Source: http://en.tempo.co/read/news/2018/12/07/055924080/Research-94-percent-Voters-in-West-Java-Couldnt-Identify-Hoaxes.

See also:

Home | Site Map | Calender & Events | News Services | Links & Resources | Contact Us